Thursday, January 29, 2009

Modified Lesson Plan

I reviewed and modified a 3rd grade social studies lesson plan about geography and spatial patterns of a certain city or place.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/xpeditions/lessons/03/g68/hometown.html
To enhance technology and improve the lesson plan i suggest that instead of using map print outs the students use Internet resources such as google earth and online maps to mark and track spatial patterns of their hometowns. Using these online resources will enhance efficiency because instead of students dealing with numerous print out maps students will have one map to scroll along and find everything they need. They will be able to change the size and dimensions of the map which will allow them to see the information they need for the lesson. They will also be able to bookmark sites and locations that they want to use so they can track and identify spatial patterns more easily. Using online resources instead of print out maps will increase student effectiveness or comprehension as well. By seeing the actual city or 'real data' students will pick up patterns more easily and connect better to the lesson. Using google earth will also enhance the lesson plan by creating a learning experience that would not be possible without technology and the Internet. With google earth students will be able to see the actual business and streets that they are finding spacial patterns for. It will bring their hometown to life without leaving the classroom. By seeing the actual town through online maps and google earth students will be able to find patterns more easily than if they were to use print out maps.

4 comments:

  1. I think that it was a good idea that you suggested using google earth or online maps fo the younger students to look at. It will not only be a great resource, but I think that the students will really enjoy using a sight such as google earth or google maps. I think that being able to change the size will be beneficial to the students because then they can see in a broad view of where certain things are. By using real data the student will be able to relate to it more, there for enhancing their learning. I think that this is a perfect way to get the students to increase their efficiency, effectiveness, and enhance their learning.
    -Laura Ann Hayden

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I think you did a great job finding other approaches to the same learning. The only suggestion I have is to maybe organize the format of your blog so it is easier to find different points of sections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that using computer maps such as Google Earth would really enhance this activity. The only problem I see is that if the students are using a computer and computer maps, they won't be able to mark on the maps, as the lesson called for.

    ReplyDelete